
Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Hmmm, I can't even remember what happened!
Wednesday I didn't have any classes to teach, and I guess I just stayed around the dorm. I honestly cannot remember at all. Isn't that sad?
Thursday, I went out in the morning to go to Lucky supermarket to get a few exciting things like conditioner and lotion, which apparently I do need even though there is 60% humidity on most days! It was an interesting excursion because the tuk tuk driver next door wasn't home, so one of the girls dropped me off on her way to class. Someone else was going to pick me up, but when I called she did answer. Assuming she was busy, I got a ride home with a tuk tuk driver and sent her a message saying I got a ride. Next thing I know she was calling saying she was at the store but I was already home!!!! I felt so bad and told her that next time she wants to eat one of the duck eggs with the baby in it, I would buy her one. She really likes them, and I make fun of her and say she is eating a baby because that is what I heard the first time :)
Later that evening I had my class with the advanced students and several of them would like to meet with me either individually or in small groups to work on English and studying for teh TOEFL test. I made big sign-up sheet today so that everyone who is interested can sign up for times. I want to keep the groups small so that there can be enough attention to everyone!
Ohhhhm and I almost forgot! Guess what I ATE today?! That is right, I ate crickets, and I have the pictures to prove it. One of the girls went home for a few days and came back with a big pag of fried crickets. Apparently they are very popular and numerous where she is from. Almost all of the girls pounced on them! They heated them up with oil, salt, and sugar. Here are a few pictures to prove my involvement....
Here is Raksmey, the one who brought all the crickets back from home, eating a huge bug. Maybe like a cockroach. You don't even really eat it, but suck on it. I did NOT eat on of these!!!!

The dissection process....

Proof that I ate one! Actually, I think I ate about four. Can you believe it? They weren't so bad. Hard to describe though because it definitely is unlike anything else I have ever eaten. I guess I little nutty in flavor.

I know for a lot of this it seems really gross to eat crickets or other bugs (like tarantualas!). The people in Cambodia did not traditionally eat these things either. It started during the Khmer Rouge when there was no other food; it was the only way to survive. And, then people realized that actually some of the bugs don't really taste all that bad, so now they are more like treats. Now, you have had your lesson on the history of food for the day!
Friday
It is still Friday (well, at least when I wrote this), but I might as well update since I have been bad about this. It was soooo hot today and yesterday. It didn't rain Thursday afternoon, so it didn't cool things off at all in the evening and then it just kept adding up this morning and afternoon until it finally rained. I took a nap around noon and woke up with my back all wet even though I had a fan on me. It was 93 or 94 degrees but with the 50-60% humidity it felt like it was 102. Let me tell you, that is no treat without air conditioning. The dorm doesn't have a refrigerator, so you can't even get a cool drink when it is hot out. Sigh! I might need to find some air conditioned place to go sit in sometimes. Whew!
Luckily it finally rained, and it didn't just rain, it poured! I have a picture to put up, but I haven't transferred it yet, so I will add it later. Before it rained, I went to the Russian Market to get a few movies for movie night, which will be at 9pm on Saturdays. I got Night at the Museum, Battle of the Smithsonian, and the Fantastic Four. The previous resident recommended that I stick with PG, not even PG-13, so as to avoid any kind of sex or nudity so they really do not like that. I think all of these movies will be fine. I haven't see Battle at the Smithsonian, so my fingers are crossed, but I think it will be okay.
I am about to have class now with the intermediate group and then have my first development class with everyone who is interested. So, I guess I need to go and will give further updates later!
No comments:
Post a Comment