Thursday, October 15, 2009

Straight from Summer to Winter

Let's see, what else has been going on since I got into the apartment.  It appears that the beautiful weather (70 degrees!) of my first three Romanian weeks has passed, and I have been plunged into a fully-fledged winter.  And, because the weather has been gross, I haven't been out taking pictures, so there are only two images for this post.

Tuesday, Oct. 13, 2009

What a gross day!  I definitely haven't been in weather like this in at least five years (since I left Maine - not even Baltimore was this bad).  It was very cold, windy, and rainy.  Everyone was struggling with their umbrellas since the wind seemed to come from every direction.  Of course, it was on this day that I need to head out for a meeting.  I finally got to meet my contact in the international office at BBU.  The office isn't really all that far from my apartment, but it felt like much further in this weather.  And, for some reason, I had written down that the office was in number one when it really was number 68 (the complete opposite end of the street!).  Once I finally made it there, I learned all about the joys that are soon to come when I begin to go through my residency permit, which I need since I will be here longer than 90 days.  Even though I have health insurance through Fulbright and additional international health insurance through another company, I still have to buy 1 month of the Romanian health insurance.  I also have to get a form signed by a doctor saying I am healthy (the doctor won't even do anything, just sign the form - and my health form from the US that I had done before leaving isn't valid - what a pain!).  I have to get something signed (and pay some money) at the post office.  I think there are a few other things, too.  Basically, it entails going to different offices all ove the city, getting lots of forms signed, and paying lots of people money.  What a joke!  I guess it really isn't all that hard, but bureaucratic and time consuming...and seems like a way for the state to make money....

After that rather disheartening meeting, I decided to go visit a language school that I found online (the Bridge Language Study House - for more info: http://www.blsh.ro/en/index.htm).  It was a really long walk in really bad weather, and my shoes were definitely not comfortable but at least they kept the water out and my feet dry.  When I got there, I talked with someone about the course and decided to go ahead and do it.  It looks like it will cost between $100-200 for about 30 hours of classes (twice a week at 2.5 hours per class for about a month and a half).  I had to take a test so that they could place me in the appropriate level.  It was really hard, and I felt so stupid!  Wow, my Romanian classes for the last year did me no good at all.... 

Wednesday, Oct. 14, 2009

Guess what I woke up to this morning?  Snow!  I couldn't believe it.  It wasn't a huge snowstorm, but a few flakes were coming down and had stuck to the rooves in the area.  You can almost make it out on this picture:




In case you don't quite believe me from the image above, here is one a little closer:



As you probably can guess, it was pretty dang chilly outside, but much better than the day before because at least it was dry!  I stayed in most of the day and only left around 3:30pm to head over to the American Studies department to print my notes for class.  I also stopped by a store to pick up a few things (plastic containers for food and some really cheap speakers for my computer to use in class).  Class went fairly well in the evening although it also felt incredibley repetitive.  We spent a lot of time talking about the practice interviews that they had to do.  There was one article, but no one read it!!  I also played a couple of sample interview clips in class, but unforunately the speakers didn't work so they were very hard to hear.  I have looked online at other oral history course syllabi, and mine seems quite similar (and less repetive than others I have seen), but it just seems that 2 hours each session can run a bit long for what we have to do.  I also think it is a different type of class than the students are used to.  This is all about the practical, about learning a skill whereas most of the classes in the department are very traditional and topical. 

Next....

So far today (Thursday) I have been to the store and market to pick up some things for my next few meals.  I also have just been working on the computer at home.  A few job applications are due tomorrow, so I need to finish them up.  This evening, I am hoping to go to a symphony concert (Tchaicovsky and Brahms violin concertos) at the big church in Piaza Unirii.  It would be nice if someone could go with me, so we will see if I end up forcing myself out alone in the cold.....   I also just heard back from the language course.  I scored a "false beginner," which means I have some knowledge but it isn't very strong or correct, so I will be placed in the beginner class.  I guess that is a good thing but also a little bit of a bummer.  I don't like to not to well on things, and I feel like I just failed my test!!!!  I think there might be something wrong with me for thinking these things because clearly there is no reason that I should know the language better.  I guess I was just expecting to test into the second level.  Sigh!  Okay, the main goal is just to learn the language and to meet a few people, so I hope it goes well.  Class starts next Monday and meets Monday and Thursday from 6:30 to 9pm (wow, late!).  Since it is a pretty long walk back to my place, I probably will try to walk there and then take a taxi home.  I'll report back next week.....

Tomorrow I am going over to Paul and Michelle's house (the couple with kids - I went there a week or two ago for dinner) for dinner.  I am going to make some applesauce to bring since I still have loads of apples and the last batch was delicious!

Oh, I also joined something calleed Couch Surfing, which I had heard of but did know too much about.  It is an online group where you can find people to stay with when you are travelling.  I went ahead and signed up so that hopefully I can use it to find places to stay when travelling in the area, but also so I can try to connect to a few people here in Cluj (yay for friends!).  I sent out a few emails, and one of the people already got back to me and seems interested.  My fingers are crossed that between these contacts and the language class that I will start making some connections and finding people to do things with.

No comments: