Thursday, August 13, 2009

Quick Updates for the Rest of the Week

Only 2 more hours before I leave and lots to do so here is just a quick overview of the rest of the week - more details and pictures later!

Wednesday, Aug. 12th:

By Wednesday I felt all better - thank goodness. The girls went to the US Embassy for the tour, and everything worked out this time, but I decided to stay at the dorm and do some things. I was a little behind from being sick for two days. In the afternoon I went to the Russian Market to buy another suitcase for all of my stuff, some more scarves, a little baby t-shirt (a gift!), and two sarongs (really just material). Then I went to two bookstores to get some more books for the dorm and to get a picture frame for the big photo for my mother-in-law.

In the evening I started doing some interviews with some of the girls. I want to do interviews with some now, again in 5 years, and again in 5 years and eventually write a book about women, education, and leadership in Cambodia. The interviews have been just wonderful. The girls all have such different and interesting backgrounds - and inspiring stories! Some of my work here definitely is starting to encourage me to think in a different direction for a career - not so much museums or academia but more to women and education. Apparently there are some organizations and think tanks that focus on that area. Maybe there will actually be jobs in that field when I am finished with the Fulbright since that is not looking to be the case in either museums or universities!

Thursday, Aug. 13th:

I did a few more interviews today, went to the National Museum with two of the girls in the morning, and packed my bags. After the museum, I stayed in town while the girls came home because I was meeting someone at 12:30. We went to pick up some shoes we had made at Spicy Green Mango, and I also picked up a few more things are some other stores (how will it all fit in my bags???). Then we had lunch at an Indonesian place on Street 178. It was delicious and only cost $3.50 in total for both of us! Two meals and two teas. Crazy.

Here we are at the museum...Kunthea, me, and Sreynang. The girls are both in their first year at the dorm and in their first year of university.



Here is one of the illegal pictures I took in the museum before I was caught :) It isn't like pictures (without a flash!!) were going to hurt rocks!! And, I paid $1 to take pictures, and then you were only allowed to use the cameras in the courtyard. So, I snuck in some anyway...



I finally got back to the dorm (and completely overpaid the moto driver - what a ripoff!) and then immediately left again to go to my sister-in-law's mother's house. They loved the pictures and sent me away with a few gifts for my family. I can't tell now, or it would ruin the surprise! One of Monica's cousins used some of her money to buy me a little wooden ox cart - it is so fragile and I hope it doesn't get broken on the way home! (update: it made it!)

Dany went with my to my sister-in-law's mom's house again. Here is a picture of her unearthing her moto from the lineup behind the dorm.



All the motos are kept there during the day, but have to moved to the front courtyard where there is more room at night because they are afraid something might catch on fire with the hot exhaust pipes and the next building so close by. If they park in front, though, they have to get up and move the moto to the back before 6am!!

When we got to my sister-in-law's mom's house, they were all waiting out front. I wasn't looking for them there and was very surpised! Here is a picture of them:



After this, the dorm had a party for me, which was so nice. Fancy spring rolls and noodles and lots of fruit. They also all got together and bought this really nice gift for me (a silk painting in a frame). They said I have been the most helpful resident (yay!!!). I did some more interviews and repacked EVERYTHING to figure out how to get the frame in my bag. It barely fits, and I hope it makes it home without breaking! (update: it made it, too!)

Everyone gathered up ready for the party to start!



The chaos that ensued: :)



Me unwrapping the gift that the girls gave me. Don't I look like an amazon? So much taller!! Oddly, I didn't really feel all that much taller there. I think having some short friends in college got me used to it :)



The whole group posing out front of the dorm:



In the evening, some of the girls were playing some games downstairs. Of course, it wasn't exactly what we think of as "games." They were doing a leadership game they had learned somewhere. Each person thought of what they thought the biggest problem in Cambodia was. All of them had about 4 different answers in common (education, corruption, economy, etc), so they split into groups around those answers. They then split further into pairs and each one came up with a solution to help their area (ie education - offer more scholarships). Then, each girl presented the idea of her partner. It was really interesting, and they seemed to love it!

They also did some other more "fun" games, and I taught them knots from girl scouts, but apparently I couldn't remember the rules correctly because the knots wouldn't untangle! They ended the night with some singing and dancing. I have some wonderful videos of it, but I think they might kill me if I posted them on here!!

Here is a picture of the dancing, though:



Friday, Aug. 14th:

I would still like to do two more interviews. But I also need to take a shower and go into town to get a couple of books to read on the flight! My flight is at 12:45 in the afternoon, and I am leaving the dorm at 10am. It takes 30 min in a tuk tuk to get there. He said it would be $10 round trip (some girls will come with me), but he usually charges $17. Ha!! It is only $7 each way for an air conditioned taxi. That is $14 roundtrip!!! I think I overpaid him the other day when I gave him $20 on Sunday for taking me around all day. I was going to do $15, but then I felt bad because he drove all over and helped bring everything from the market to the orphange. Whatever, it is fine - he is studying at law school in his 3rd year, so I think it is okay.

Okay, must go!!!!! You will have to check back to find out what happened - do I get some more interviews, do I leave on time....the anticipation is killing you, I am sure!

No comments: